Since 1930, Superior Essex has forged a path by meeting wire and cable requirements for the automotive, industrial, commercial and residential, energy and communications markets.
Today, we continue to expand our product portfolio globally, with new innovations and manufacturing throughout North America, Europe and Asia. Thanks to strategic acquisitions centering on future-forward communications technology development and product sustainability, Superior Essex Communications has positioned itself as the industry leader in communications cable product innovation, design and manufacturing.
Early Years — 1930s & 1940s
Undaunted by the financial crisis and Great Depression, Addison E. Holton, then director of Anaconda Wire and Cable, put together a consortium of partners -- called Essex Wire Corporation -- and acquired the Ford Motor Company wire assemble operations. The company incorporated on Feb. 15, 1930 and employed 700 workers.
Change & Growth — 1950s & 1960s
Superior Cable founded
in Hickory, North Carolina
Mergers & Market Shifts — 1970s & 1980s
From 1970 to 1974 there were numerous merger talks that fell through regarding the acquisition of Essex, until one came to pass.
In one of his last acts as CEO, O'Malley completed the merger of Essex with United Aircraft Corporation of East Hartford, Conn., making the company a wholly-owned subsidiary.
New Opportunities — 1990s
The early 90s was a period of recognition for the brand as it was awarded a Mark of Excellence from General Motors as well as ISO 9000 and QS 9000 world-wide quality certifications.
The culture of the company moved quickly into the computer age, increased attention to employee work-life balance, as well as encouraging community service. It looked to reduce cost and increase capacity for future growth.
Innovation — 2000s to Today
LS Cable acquires Superior Essex
Racing — 1960s to Today
In 1965, Essex sponsored the Ford Racing Team giving the brand a chance to showcase its largest customer as well as its magnet wire technology.
The result was a very successful partnership as the team finished fourth in the US Road Racing Championship circuit. The car, known affectionately as "Ollie the Dragon," got its nickname is it regularly shot fire from out of the hoodscoop.